PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
The following is a comprehensive, checklist of equipment needed by yourself for any Expedition. Access to equipment stores (such as your Operating/Regional Office) which should have a wide range of well maintained equipment can be helpful.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CENTRE DOES NOT ISSUE EQUIPMENT.
- Rucksack of approx. 65 litres with strong liner bag inside (no rucksack is waterproof)
- Comfortable walking clothes (no cotton equipment e.g. jeans, sweat tops, socks etc..).
- Polyester type track suit trouser bottoms.
- Polyester shirt tops (e.g. Polo top, long sleeves if possible).
- Fleece jacket or fleece top (NOT cotton hoodies)
- Walking boots with good tread and ankle support (NOT trainer type walking shoes)
- 3-4 pairs of good walking socks (remember, NOT cotton sports socks).
- A pair of flip flops or trainers for around the campsites.
- A complete spare set of clothing (double wrapped inside your rucksack to keep dry for the night in case you get wet in the day).
- Weatherproof and waterproof walking jacket and over trousers, NOT just shower proof.
- Warm hat and gloves, sunhat, sun cream and insect repellent.
- Sleeping bag (double wrapped inside your rucksack to keep it dry) and sleeping mat.
- A small torch (preferably a head torch) with spare bulb and batteries.
- A survival bag and whistle. (Can be purchased at the Centre)
- Personal first aid kit (should include Melolin squares, micropore adhesive tape, elasticised bandage, and pain relief tablets).
- Emergency rations (bar of Kendal Mint Cake or similar).
- Notebook and pencil.
- Water bottle and puritabs tablets.
- OS Explorer OL12 laminated map, Brecon Beacons West & Centre Areas.
- Compass and map pen marker.
- Tent (one, two or three man type according to needs)
- Trangia stove or gas stove ( the latter must have re-sealable cartridges).
- Appropriate fuel bottle/spare cartridges.
- Matches in a waterproof container.
- Food for the period (ie. before and during) the Expedition. Breakfasts and evening meals, high energy food for during the day.
- Personal hygiene (small toothbrush, toothpaste, small soap, antibacterial wipes/gel, small towel etc.).
- Cutlery, cup, dishes and small tea towel.
- Washing up liquid in a small container and small scouring pad.
- Toilet paper.
- Walking poles (optional, but definitely recommended)
A final thought!!
In our experience we have found that most candidates who fail to complete expeditions do so through lack of fitness – get fit and stay fit!. REMEMBER the weight of your rucksack should be no more than a ¼ of your bodyweight.